JERRY SORRELL COLLECTION
No. 11577. Rawdon T-1SD
Photographed at Troutdale, Oregon, USA, 1968, by Jerry Sorrell

Rawdon T-1SD

09/30/2012. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Herbert Rawdon and E.B. Christopher formed the Rawdon-Christopher Aircraft Company at Wichita, Kansas in the early 1930s. In 1938 the Rawdon Bros Aircraft Company was founded by Alanson, Gene and Herb Rawdon. In 1978 the company was renamed Spinks-Rawdon, and moved to Fort Worth, Texas. The first Rawdon designed aircraft was the side-by-side open two-seater R-1, first flown in 1938, powered by a 75 hp Lycoming engine. The sole prototype was tested by the USAAC as a trainer, but was rejected. Subsequently it was modified for crop-dusting.

In 1947 Rawdon designed and built the T-1 two-seat monoplane, primarily intended as a two-seat trainer, but is suitable for touring, crop-spraying and other duties. With an 80 gal (302 l) streamlined external spray tank installed under its fuselage, cruising speed is reduced by only about 4 mph (6.4 kmh). Three aircraft were sold to Colombia as military counter-insurgency ships in the early 1950s.

The T-1S was a crop-spraying version of the T-1, with which it was identical except for the installation of a spray tank and equipment. The spray manifolds were entirely within the wings, only the nozzles projecting below the lower surface. The tank hold up to 800 lb (363 kg) of spray material. All spray equipment, except the manifolds, were quickly removable.

A further development of the basic T-1 design was the T-1SD agricultural aircraft, which had a large glass fiber hopper in place of the normal rear cockpit enclosure, and end plates on the wing-tips, but otherwise it was generally similar to the T-1. It could be used either for dusting or spraying.

Production continued into the 1960s, and a total of 36 aircraft were built, seven were of the T-1SD version. The following data relate to the T-1.

WINGS. Low-wing semi-cantilever monoplane. Modified Göttingen 398 wing section. Chord 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m). Dihedral 4° 30'. All-metal structure. Single steel-tube struts in plane of the main spar brace landing-gear attachment points to steel-tube pylon, between two seats. Steel-tube-framed ailerons and flaps are fabric covered.
FUSELAGE. Welded steel-tube structure covered with fabric over wooden formers.
TAIL UNIT. Braced monoplane type. Welded steel-tube frames covered with fabric. Statically-balanced rudder and elevators. Plywood-covered trim-tabs in both elevators.
LANDING GEAR. Fixed tail-wheel type. Cantilever legs with Rawdon oleo-sprung shock-absorbers. Goodyear wheels and hydraulic disc brakes. Full swiveling and steerable tail-wheel on Maule oleo-spring strut.
POWER PLANT. An 150 hp Lycoming O-320 four-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine. Sensenich fixed-pitch metal airscrew. Hartzell constant-speed airscrew optional. Two Goodyear Pliocel flexible fuel tanks in wing roots. Normal fuel capacity 38 gal (144 l), optional 44 gal (166 l).
ACCOMMODATION. Tandem seats with dual controls under transparent canopy. Upper panels over seats hinge to right side for access and exit. Vertically sliding lower side panels. Baggage compartment aft of rear seat. Optional equipment includes an 80 gal (302 l) external spray tank for agricultural duties.

Created September 30, 2012