07/31/2014. Remarks by John Stiff: "This Lancaster was built by Canada's A.V. Roe (Avro), Malton, Ontario plant. It was flown to England to 405 Squadron on May 5, 1945, however, it was not placed on operational status. A few weeks later, June 17, it returned to Canada, where it was attached to RCAF 664 Wing Tiger Force, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
In 1954, KB949 was converted to a Mk.10MP (Maritime Patrol) and was delivered once again to RCAF 405 Squadron, where it was assigned the code VC-AGL. Later that year, VC-AGL was delivered to 407 Maritime Reconnaisance Squadron, and re-coded RX949. Today the 407 Squadron is known as a Long Range Patrol Squadron (LRPS) and is based in Comox, British Columbia.
In 1958, Lancaster KB949 (coded RX949) was retired to Fort Macleod, Alberta, where it was declared SOC - Struck Off Charge - the date the air force officially removed the aircraft from service. Records do not show its service between 1954 and 1958, and its demise came on April 4, 1961. It had been sold to General Smelting of Hamilton, Ontario and scrapped."