02/28/2009. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Progressive development of the first of the extraordinary Nieuport triplanes led in 1916 to an even more unorthodox triplane arrangement in which the rniddle wing, attached to the forward ends of the upper fuselage longerons, was foremost and the upper wing rearmost.
Utilising a Nieport 17 fuselage, powered by an 110 hp Le Rhône 9J engine fitted with a large cône de pénétration ' (ie spinner) on the propeller and armed with a single synchronized Lewis gun, this triplane, designated Nieport 11C (or 11.000) was officially tested by the S.T.Aé (Section Technique de l'Aéronautique) late in 1916, but the unusual configuration proved to offer poor handling and was not ordered for the Aviation Militaire.
One example armed with a Vickers gun was acquired for evaluation by the RFC on 26 January 1917, but its flying characteristics were found to be unacceptable. The RNAS also acquired one example in March 1917, this differing in having a Nieport 17bis fuselage and an 130 hp Clerget engine. Although allotted to No.11 (Naval) Squadron, it had been discarded by 27 June 1917."