09/30/2008. Derived from the F.K.48, the sole F.K.49 photo and cartographic aircraft was developed for the Netherlands Army Air Service and it was delivered in December 1935. Behind the two pilots, who were seated in tandem, was the photographer, the cameras were fitted over openings in the cabin floor. The fourth crew member was the photo developer, who had a darkroom in the rear of the cabin. The aircraft was captured by the Germans in May 1940 and scrapped shortly thereafter.
Two more aircraft were produced, one for Turkey in 1938 and one for Finland in 1939. Fitted with a wider and stepped nose, a larger vertical tail and different engines, these were designated F.K.49A.
View also photo 10306.