No. 11302. Douglas DC-3C (CF-IQR c/n 11876) Nordair
Photographed at Payne Bay, Quebec, Canada, May 1964, by Chuck Tolley

Douglas DC-3C

04/30/2012. Remarks by Chuck Tolley: "These photos of CF-IQR on skis were taken in May 1964 at Payne Bay (presently named Kangirsuk) in Arctic Quebec, a small Inuit community just north of Fort Chimo (presently Kuujjuaq). Payne Bay was my first northern posting as a teacher.

Nordair Airlines, based out of Montreal's Dorval Airport in Quebec, operated regular scheduled service to Fort Chimo and Frobisher Bay (presently Iqaluit) with DC-4 and Super Constellation aircraft. They also did charter work with their DC-3Cs (CF-IQR was originally built as a DC-3A-456 C-47A-1-DK for the USAAF on August 11, 1943, under the s/n 42-92112).

The Federal Government (DNA) contracted with Nordair to fly in two electrical generators from Fort Chimo to Payne Bay. The only suitable landing area was Post Lake several miles north and CF-IQR made three trips with the generators and various other parts.

At that time there was no mechanized transport in the community. So the generators had to be hauled to Payne Bay on a specially-built komatik (sled). A ramp needed to be built to unload the generators onto the sled. When the flight crew arrived with the first load they were a little unsure about what had been arranged.

The whole project had been placed in the very capable hands of the local Inuit leader, Samwillie Annahatak. Once the plane had landed and was shut down, the local men moved the ramp into place and manhandled the generator out of the plane and onto the sled. In less than half an hour the plane was ready to return to Fort Chimo for another load. The crew was greatly impressed with how it had been organized. About 90 dogs were tied on in intervals along long lines attached to the sled. It was a great event bringing the generator into the community.

CF-IQR went on to be flown in the north by a number of other operators and was being flown by Kenn Borek Air when it crashed at Sugluk (presently Salluit) in Arctic Quebec (presently Nunavik) on February 28, 1977. The wreckage was removed to Calgary, Alberta, and in September 1983 it was cannibalized. Subsequently the remains were transferred to Chipman Airport, at Chipman, Alberta, by 2006 the remains had disappeared."

Created April 30, 2012