04/30/2009. Remarks by Ray Watkins: "Frank N. Piasecki worked as a mechanic for Kellett and Platt-LePage and in 1942 formed the P-V (P for Piasecki, V for Venzie) Engineering Forum with like-minded rotary wing engineers Harold Venzie, Elloit Daland and Don Myer. The company was incorporated in 1943. Piasecki was the first person to obtain a US civil helicopter pilot's license in February 1944.
The first design produced by the company was the single-seat PV-2 which flew in April 1943 and was Piasecki's only single-rotor helicopter. In February 1944 Piasecki obtained a USN contract for the development of a utility and rescue helicopter which could carry a useful load of 1,800 lb (816 kg) with a crew of two. During his time with Platt-LePage Piasecki had noticed that the XR-1 (with side-by-side rotors) flew better sideways than it did forwards.
The model PV-3 had rotors placed at the front and rear of a ‘banana’ shaped fuselage and was powered by a single 450 hp Wright R-975 piston engine. This layout eliminated the need for an anti-torque rotor and also reduced the adverse effects of centre of gravity shifts. The concept demonstrator, designated the XHRP-X 'Dogship', had its first flight in May 1945 and at the time was the largest helicopter to have flown and the first successful tandem-rotor design. Two prototypes, designated XHRP-1 (37968 and 37969), were ordered in December 1944 for testing by the USN and by the company.
In 1946 the company name was changed to the Piasecki Helicopter Corporation. All testing was completed by early 1947 and a production orders placed for 20 HRP-1’s (111809 to 111828) in two batches of ten aircraft."