11/30/2011. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Junkers at Dessau, Germany designed the S 36 twin-engined transport aircraft in 1927. This aircraft, c/n 3200 and registered D-1252, was fitted with two 485 hp Gnome-Rhone engines. First flown on September 5, 1927, it was marketed as the K 37 (Kampfflugzeug, multi-role combat aircraft), but found no buyers. The aircraft was transferred to the Junkers subsidiary Aktie Bolaget Flygindustri in Limhamn, Sweden.
A second example was produced, fitted with two 500 hp Siemens engines and with four machineguns, while a bomb load of 1,102 lb (500 kg) could be carried. This aircraft, c/n 3201, was registered in Sweden as S-AABP on May 14, 1928, the following year it was reregistered SE-ABP. In 1930, the aircraft and a manufacturing license were sold to Mitsubishi of Japan, where it arrived by ship in February 1931. The aircraft was modified to Japanese specifications and destined for operations in Manchuria.
Before that the aircraft was donated to the IJAAF by the Encouragement of Technical Arts Foundation as a so-called patriotic gift (Aikoku). The ceremony took place at Yoyogi Square in Tokyo on January 10, 1932, in the presence of some 2,000 VIP's and 10,000 citizens of Tokyo. The aircraft received the number 'Aikoku 1' which was applied to the aircraft, and the IJAAF referred to the aircraft simply as the Aikoku Dai-Ichi-Go Bakugekiki (Bomber Aircraft Aikoku No. 1). The aircraft left for Manchuria on January 12, accompanied by the 'Aikoku 2' (a donated Dornier Do B Merkur), arriving three days later.
The Junkers aircraft was developed into a significantly larger bomber of which Mitsubishi built 305 examples in two versions: 118 Ki-1 and 187 Ki-2."