04/30/2012. In 1939 the Swiss AF selected the Bf 109 E-3, eighty (s/n J-311 to J-390) were produced by Messerschmitt Flugzeugbau at Regensburg, Germany, and eight (s/n J-392 to J-399) were built under license. Eventually an 89th aircraft (s/n J-391) was produced from spare parts. The aircraft served with the Schweizer Fliegertruppe (presently Luftwaffe) till 1948. After retirement several parts, such as landing gear and instruments were used in the construction of the Pilatus P-2.
The pictured J-355 was delivered on November 7, 1939, it was damaged twice due to hard landings and was repaired both times by Dornier at Altenrhein, Switzerland. It was struck off charge on December 28, 1948. In 1968 it was presented for display to the Fliegermuseum (presently Flieger Flab Museum) at Dübendorf, near Zürich.