01/31/2015. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk
: "Wilbur C. Methvin of Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, USA, invented and patented a special safety wing slot for small airplanes that prevents them from stalling or spinning. Tests of the safety wing was done on a heavily modified Fleet 7
, which Methvin, assisted by Kermit Parker of Atlanta, Georgia, converted from biplane to parasol wing
configuration. The original 125 hp Kinner engine was replaced by a 90 hp Brownback Tiger 100 engine, and the aircraft first flew in 1935. Methvin intended to build a safety wing aircraft, designated Methvin Flivver, in a new factory at Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1936, however, these plans did not materialize."