08/12/2006. Remarks by Jack McKillop: "This prototype aircraft made its first flight on August 26, 1948. It was ordered by the Ministry of Aircraft Production with RAF s/n RT668 but the RAF order was cancelled and the aircraft was registered G-AKRD on February 9, 1948.
It was leased to the British European Airways Corp. (BEA) in
1951, named "Golden Lion", and was sold to Rolls-Royce
Ltd. in December 1955. The aircraft was re-registered G-37-3 on
March 27, 1958 and G-AKRD on May 20, 1966. It was placed in storage
at Hucknall, Nottinghamshire, England, in October 1969 and
subsequently scrapped." View also photo 9224,
and the History Brief .