F-107A on July 8, 1954, 27 days after the USAF had ordered 33 F-100B's.
The F-107A was powered by a 24,500 lb (11,113 kg) s.t Pratt &Whitney
J75-P-9 turbojet that was fed through a Variable Area Inlet Duct on top of the fuselage. In the event only the three YF-107A prototypes were produced, when the USAF accepted the Republic F-105 as their new fighter-bomber, the prototypes were relegated to testing duties with the USAF and NACA (renamed NASA October 1,1958).
55-5118 c/n 212-1, first flown by North American test pilot Bob Baker on September 10, 1956 at Edwards AFB. Donated to NACA on November 6, 1957 (allotted NACA number 207), however, due to mechanical unreliability grounded after only four flights and kept for spare parts to keep the third YF-107A flying. After retirement from NASA became a derelict at Orange County Airport at the International Flight and Space Museum (opened 1963, part of Tallmantz Movieland of the Air), fitted with the single-piece, all-moving vertical tail of the third YF-107A s/n 55-5120. Presently preserved in restored condition at Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona.
55-5119, first flown November 28, 1956, preserved at the National Museum of the USAF, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio.
55-5120 c/n 212-3, first flown December 10, 1956. Donated to NACA (allotted NACA number 120), making forty flights (fitted with a wrist controlled side-stick), starting July 25, 1958. On September 1, 1959, it was damaged beyond economical repair when it ground-looped after an aborted takeoff. Broken up in parts the fuselage was used for firefighting training at Sheppard AFB, Texas, while the vertical tail apparently was fitted to 55-5118."