This aircraft was originally the second prototype Mk.1 and was
registered G-AGST to the MoS&AP. Subsequently it was modified to a
Mk.4 by a 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) stretch of the fuselage and fitting the
1,760 hp Rolls-Royce Merlin Mk.623 liquid-cooled twelve-cylinder
The aircraft was transferred to the MoS and converted to the sole
Mk.8, serialed VX195. The Merlin negines were replaced by four 5.000
lb (2.268 kg) s.t Roll-Royce Nene Mk.5 engines in paired nacelles
under the wings. In this configuration it was flown for the first
time on September 6, 1948 and used for high-altitude investigations.
Withdrawn from use it was broken up at Farnborough in 1951.