08/31/2007. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Having already established his name as an aircraft designer with the Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 Series, Geoffrey de Havilland joined the Aircraft Manufacturing Company (known as Airco) on July 2, 1914, to design, supervise manufacturing and test-fly aircraft. From then on all his designs carried his initials.
The D.H.1 two-seat fighter-reconnaissance aircraft was first flown from Hendon, London, by de Havilland in January 1915. The aircraft was powered by a 70 hp Renault engine, as were the first five production aircraft. Another 67 aircraft were powered by the 120 hp Beardmore engine, these aircraft were designated D.H.1A. The last D.H.1s were withdrawn from service in 1918."