09/30/2007. This helicopter was built by Bendix Helicopters Inc. (formed in 1946) as the Model J. The company was reformed and renamed as Helicopters Inc. in 1948. By 1949 the Gyrodyne Company of America Inc. (established by Peter J. Papadakos in 1946 as the PC Helicopter Corp) acquired the rights to this five-seat helicopter and designated it GCA-2.
Powered by a 450 hp Pratt & Whitney R-985 Wasp Junior driving the two
coaxial, twin-blade rotors, the type was converted to the GCA-2A in
1949. Fitted additional with two outrigged 100 hp Continental engines
driving two-bladed tractor aircrews, to obtain test data pertaining to
convertoplanes, it was first flown on November 30, 1949.