01/31/2008. The Transporter Allianz (abbreviated to Transall) was a
joint-venture formed January 1959 of one French (Nord Aviation) and
three German companies (Hamburger Flugzeugbau, Weser Flugzeugbau,
Blume) to develop and produce a medium transport aircraft for European
Under the command of test pilot Jean Lanvario the C-160
was first flown from Melun-Villaroche, France on February 25, 1963.
Exactly three months later the German prototype flew for the first
time from Bremen-Lemwerder.
In 1972 production was ended, a total of 178 aircraft had been built:
3 prototypes, 6 pre-series (3 to France, 3 to Germany), and 169
production (50 to France, 110 to Germany of which 20 were transferred
to Turkey, 9 to South Africa).
In 1976 production was reinstated by the joint-venture (comprising
Aérospatiale of France, and Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm and Vereinigte
Flugtechnische Werke of Germany, all successors to the earlier
companies) to built the C-160 NG (Nouvelle Génération) to meet an
additional French requirement.
The C-160 NG featured updated avionics and an in-flight refueling
probe, hence the nickname Lanceur (Lancer). The first was flown by
Jean Franchi on April 9, 1981, and a total of 35 were delivered: 29 to
France and 6 to Indonesia.
The pictured aircraft was built in 1981, and coded 64-CG, it is still
active with Escadre de Transport 64, at Evreux/Fauville.