01/31/2008. Ordered in 1954 this aircraft was delivered to the USN as
an F11F-1, served with VT-26, was redesignated F-11A in 1962, and flew
with the Blue Angels. It was retired in 1969 and placed in storage at
Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.
In 1973 this aircraft and BuNo. 141853 were taken from storage and the
latter was fitted with a Rohr Industries thrust reverser, while BuNo.
141824 remained in standard configuration for use as a chase plane.
Tests began in March 1974 at Grumman at Calverton, followed by tests
at NATC Patuxent River, Maryland until 1975. Thereafter both aircraft
returned to storage at Davis-Monthan AFB.
BuNo. 141824 is presently preserved in Blue Angels markings at Pima
Air & Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona.