06/30/2009. Of mixed wooden-metal-linen construction, the Fw 44 aerobatic trainer, was designed by Kurt Tank. Registered D-2409, the prototype was first flown by Gerd Achelis from Bremen in the summer of 1932.
The Fw 44 J version, fitted with an 160 hp Siemens Sh 14A-4 seven-cylinder radial engine, was demonstrated in Sweden in late 1935, and in February 1936 two test aircraft were ordered, receiving the Swedish AF designation P 2 (test). The testing resulted in a license agreement between the Swedish aviation administration and Focke-Wulf on September 29, 1936.
In late 1936, 14 aircraft were ordered from Focke-Wulf, and ASJA (AB Svenska Järnvägsverkstädernas Aeroplanavdelning, Swedish Railway Workshops Aircraft Department) received an order for 20 aircraft in June 1937, while the Central Verkstaden at Västeras (CVV, Central Workshop) received an order for 37 aircraft in 1939. Another 12 were ordered from Focke-Wulf in 1940, however, these were produced by Flugzeugwerke CKD at Prague, Czechoslovakia.
The type received the Swedish designation Sk 12 (Sk stands for Skolflygplan, trainer aircraft), and most of the aircraft were initially delivered to Flygflottilj F 5 at Ljungbyhed, where they were used for elementary and aerobatic traning. Also other training units flew the type, and after withdrawn from basic training in 1946-1947, the type was used for liaison, observation, glider-tug, etc. After being withdrawn from use, many came on the civil registries in Sweden and Germany.
The pictured aircraft is carrying the markings of Flygflottilj F 5.