09/30/2008. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "The one-off LZ-4 (N74147), flown in November 1950, preceded the similar LZ-5. The four-blade rotor was hinge-less and articulated on a gimbal-mounting for aerodynamic flapping. The first LZ-5 was flown at Danbury, Connecticut on April 27, 1953, registered as N13458, and two were delivered to the US Army, s/n 52-5779 and 52-5780. Two more development aircraft were produced, registered N94561 and N812, and the LZ-5 gained its Type Certificate on December 19, 1955.
Meanwhile, Doman and Fleet Manufacturing, Ltd. of Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada had formed Doman-Fleet Helicopters. The US-built development aircraft N812 was transferred to Doman-Fleet at Fort Erie and after some minor modifications it was flown in 1955, operating under an Canadian experimental flight permit, hence registered CF-IBG-X. With its 7 ft (2.13 m) wide doors removed on both sides the helicopter showed in mid-1956 its capability of lifting bulky cargo without slings by transporting a 1,900 lb (862 kg) cabriolet Volkswagen Beagle in the cabin, sort of.
The Evaluation Planning Group of the Army Headquarters at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, tested the aircraft in 1956, no orders followed this. The 'X' was dropped from the registration after the aircraft received its Type Certificate from the Canadian Department of Transport."