04/30/2009. Produced by R.E. Franklin and his brother Wallace in 1930, the aircraft had a steel tube frame and wooden wings, all fabric covered. It was used by Frank Hawks a Texaco promotion cross-country tow. The glider, registered NC502M and piloted by Hawks, was towed by a Waco ASO, named "Texaco 7", piloted by J.D. Jernigin, who was joined by Wallace Franklin.
Departing Lindbergh Field at San Diego on March 30, 1930, the 2,860 mls (4,603 km) to Van Cortlandt Park in New York City, took eight days with a total flight time of a little over 44 hours, while en route Hawks flew scheduled demonstrations with the PS-2, adding another seven flying hours to his log.
After a total of 50 flights and 570 hours, covering 4,000 mls (6,437 km) the aircraft was donated to the Smithsonian Institution on December 8, 1930.