Alliott Verdon-Roe built his first aircraft at Brooklands, near
Weybridge, first short flights were made on June 8, 1908, and soon
thereafter Roe moved to Hackney Marshes for a short period.
On January 1, 1910 A.V. Roe & Company was founded (the first
company to be registered as an aircraft manufacturer) and moved to
Wembley Park, Middlesex.
The company established a factory in Manchester in 1911 and from than
the company products were marketed under the trade name Avro.
In January 1913 the company was registered as A.V.Roe & Company,
Limited and kept using the trade name Avro.
On March 23, 1916 A.V.Roe & Co., Ltd. was one of 40 companies forming the
Society of British Aircraft Constructors (SBAC).
In 1920 Crossley Motors bought 60% of the shares.
In 1928 control passed to the Armstrong Siddeley Development Co.,
Ltd., the company continued to operate under the name A.V. Roe &
Co., Ltd. and kept using the trade name Avro.
Alliott left the company and with S.E. Saunders formed Saunders-Roe
Limited of Cowes, Isle of Wight.
In 1935 A.V.Roe & Co., Ltd., became part of the Hawker Siddeley
Aircraft Co., Ltd., after the amalgation of the Armstrong Siddeley
Development Co., Ltd., and the Hawker Aircraft Co., Ltd., but continued
operating as A.V. Roe & Co., Ltd. with the trade name Avro.
In July 1945 A.V.Roe & Co., Ltd. bought the Victory Aircraft,
Ltd., from the Canadian Government and the new A.V. Roe Canada,
Ltd. company operated under the trade name Avro Canada.
In 1955 A.V. Roe Canada, Ltd. became member of the Hawker Siddeley
In 1962 A.V. Roe Canada, Ltd. was purchased by the de Havilland of
Canada, Ltd., and the names A.V. Roe Canada, Ltd. and
Avro Canada disappeared.
On July 1, 1963 the A.V. Roe & Co., Ltd. company name (and the trade name
Avro) disappeared as it, together with the Sir W.G. Armstrong
Whitworth Aircraft, Ltd., became part of the Avro Withworth
Division of Hawker Siddeley Aviation, Ltd. Subsequently all
aircraft in production, known previously under the individual company
names, became Hawker Siddeley products.
The name Avro reappeared in 1993 when British Aerospace (into which Hawker Siddeley
merged in 1977) centered its Regional-jet manufacturing at Woodford, UK (a site in
use by A.V. Roe since 1925), under the name of BAe Regional Aircraft Ltd., Avro
International Aerospace Division, to manufacture the Avro RJ range (sometimes
referred to as the Avroliner), upgraded versions of the British Aerospace BAe 146
series. The name Avro International disappeared on January 1, 2001.
The tables below show only the flown aircraft in chronological order.
A.V. Roe (Avro)
Type D Hydro-biplane
Type E (500)
Type Es (502)
Type H (503)
Type J (506)
500 (Type E)
502 (Type Es)
503 (Type H)
506 (Type J)
528 Silver King