Avros chief designer, Roy Chadwick, made a redesign of the
Lancaster bomber first flown in January of 1941. The York first
prototype (LV626) was flown from Ringway on July 5, 1942, only 5
months after Chadwicks drawing was given to the experimental
department. Wing, tail, engines and landing gear were of the
Lancaster, the fuselage was a completely new design.
Four prototypes were built. Number 3 (LV633 named Ascalon) became
Winston Churchills personal flying conference room, a central
fin was added and it had fewer square windows compared to long row of
circular windows on all other aircraft. The central fin became
standard on all further Yorks. The first was converted late 1943 to
the only C. Mk.II produced, with Bristol Hercules IV radials and a
The transport was fitted for passenger, freight, or combined duties.
In 1943 the production started and the bulk (208) went to the RAF,
although many of these ended in civil service. The last
aircraft was completed in April 1948, totalling 258 aircraft,
including the 4 prototypes.