11/30/2009. The three-engined G 31 airliner was an enlarged development of the G 24 and likewise a cantilever low-wing all-metal construction aircraft, covered with corrugated duralumin sheet.
The prototype, G 31 ba (registration D-1073 c/n 3000) started flight testing in September 1926, powered by three Junkers L 5 engines, as the aircraft was underpowered the nose-engine was replaced by a BMW VI engine. In all, thirteen aircraft were produced in nine versions, differing by engines and/or other details.
In the prototype two pilots were seated in an open cockpit, from 1928 on, pilots and a flight-engineer were seated in a separate cockpit, while fifteen passengers were seated in the enclosed cabin that also had a small galley.
Also in 1928 it was in the G 31 a "Flugbegleiter" (steward) was introduced, during the flight supplying the passengers with meals and beverages; soon the type became known as the "fliegender Speisewagen" (flying dining car). Several chairs could be folded to a sleeping coach, while sleeping berths could be attached to the walls, hence the aircraft was also known as the "fliegender Schlafwagen" (flying sleeping car).
Pictured is the third aircraft, produced in February 1928, and was delivered to the Deutsche Luft Hansa as D-1310 (Nico Braas Collection), being reregistered to D-ADIN in 1934. The following year it was transferred to the RLM (Reichsluftfahrtministerium, State Air Ministry).