02/28/2010. The Frenchman Louis Paulhan used in this aircraft construction techniques developed by another Frenchman, Henri Fabre. Of wooden construction, covered with fabric, and fitted with a Gnome engine, the aircraft was first flown by Albert Caillé at Saint-Cyr-l'Ecole, near Paris, on November 5, 1910 and showed very satisfying flight behavior.
The British Army ordered an example and early January 1911 Caillé successfully put it through a series of tests at Buc, also near Paris. The conditions imposed were that the aircraft should fly for two hours with a passenger as well as 441 lb (200 kg) of ballast, in a 25 mph (40 kmh) wind, and make a gliding flight, with the engine stopped, from a height of 626 m (200 m). British Army Captain Fulton witnessed the tests and accepted the aircraft on January 11, 1911.
Flight described the aircraft in late 1910, view the pages