DAVID HORN COLLECTION
No. 12895. Curtiss 24 CT-1 (A-5890) US Navy
Source unknown

Curtiss 24 CT-1

12/15/2015. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "This design was laid out by the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics, and Curtiss completed only the first of nine ordered (Navy serials A-5890 to A-5898). The layout was quite unconventional, with a crew pod and engine nacelles built onto a fabric-covered wooden cantilever wing; the tail surfaces were supported by booms connected to the twin floats and the wing.

Fitted initially with two 300 hp Wright-Hispano H engines, the CT-1 (Curtiss Torpedoplane in the emerging Navy designation system) was delivered to the Rockaway Naval Air Station near the Garden City, New York plant on May 1, 1921. Armament consisted of one or two 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns. It was returned to Curtiss in March 1922 for refitting with 435 hp Curtiss D-12 engines as pictured above. The CT-1 was struck from the Navy list on November 9, 1923.

Created December 15, 2015