Of mixed construction, with wooden wings and horizontal tail surfaces and steel-tube, fabric-covered fuselage and vertical tail, the XPS-1 was powered by a 200 hp Lawrance J-1 air-cooled radial and featured hand-operated chain-and-sprocket main undercarriage members, which were originally developed by Dayton-Wright for its entry in the 1920 Gordon Bennett Air Race and could be raised in 10 seconds and lowered in six seconds.
Flown in 1923, the XPS-1 proved to possess unsatisfactory characteristics and neither of the flight test prototypes was officially accepted. 68535 (P-308) was surveyed, while 68536 (P-311) went to the McCook Field Museum on September 10, 1923, its cockpit section with the "first military retractable landing gear" is presently on display at the National Museum of the USAF, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
Span: 30 ft 0 in (9.14 m)
Length: 19 ft 2 in (5.84 m)
Wing area: 143 sq.ft (13.28 sq.m)
Loaded weight: 1, 715 lb (778 kg)
Max speed: 146 mph (235 kmh) at 15,000 ft (4,570 m)."