STEVE KEYSER COLLECTION
No. 6334. L.W.F. J-2
Photographed at Salzer's Airport, La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA, October 24, 1920

L.W.F. J-2

04/19/2007. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "L.W.F. (Lowe, Willard and Fowler) built the J-2 (also known as the Twin D.H.) as a two-engined development of the Airco D.H.4 for the Air Mail Service. The single Liberty engine was removed from the nose to created more room for mail and two 200 hp Hall-Scott L-6 engines were installed between the wings. The wing span was increased by 10 ft 0.5 in (3.06 m) to 52 ft 6 in (16.00 m), creating a 108 sq.ft (10 sq.m) increase of wing area. For directional control two extra rudders were fitted. Twenty aircraft were built for the Post Office and 10 for the USAAS, it was not successful and was quickly withdrawn from service."






Created April 19, 2007