10/31/2009. In early 1937, the RLM (Reichsluftfahrtministerium, State Air Ministry) issued a specification for a shipboard two-seat torpedo-bomber and reconnaissance aircraft. Both the Arado and Fieseler companies submitted proposals, and three prototypes were ordered from each company, the projects being designated Ar 195 and Fi 167 respectively. The prototypes of both aircraft were completed during the summer of 1938, but the Ar 195 was soon found to be incapable of meeting the performance demands of the specification.
Powered by an 1,100 hp Daimler-Benz DB 601B twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled inverted V-engine, the three Fi 167 prototypes, c/n 2501 to 2503, respectively registered D-OCML, D-OFWP, and D-OJBZ (later coded TI+HT, TA+AA, and TP+AV) were tested at the E-stelle (Erprobungsstelle, Test Center) at Rechlin and were able to improve on the specification in every respect and, in consequence, twelve Fi 167A-0 pre-production aircraft were ordered, these were delivered in the summer of 1940. Despite their excellent performance, the RLM deregulated the aircraft to experimental and test programs.