01/31/2011. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "The Phillips Aviation Company was formed by James A. Phillips at South Pasadena, California, USA, in 1936. That same year it produced the Model 1-B Aeroneer, a side-by-side two-seat cabin monoplane, powered by an 125 hp Menasco C-4 Pirate four-cylinder air-cooled in-line engine. It was registered as NC16075.
To compete for an USAAC trainer contract the Aeroneer was re-engined with an 145 hp Ranger 6 six-cylinder air-cooled inverted in-line engine, in 1939. The aircraft was designated Crane X-PT (Experimental Primary Trainer), hence the 'C' in the registration being replaced by an 'X', and the rudder was finished as an USAAC aircraft.
The aircraft was not selected by the USAAC and subsequently was sold as an Model 1-C Aeroneer to MGM Studios, and it appeared in a number of films, including The House Across the Bay (1940), Power Dive (Paramount 1941), and Sky Raiders (1941). By 2005 it was reported as being stored in Arizona."