BILL McBRIDE COLLECTION
No. 12466. Gotha G.VII
Additional photos site files, sources unknown

Gotha G.VII

07/31/2014. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "During 1918, Gotha developed the twin-engined G.VI into a smaller, lighter aircraft intended mainly for ultra-long-range photo-reconnaissance duty, pictured above is the prototype. Powerplant was two 260 hp Mercedes D.IVa six-cylinder water-cooled in-line engines. Later in the year special units were formed, Reihenbildzug (Photographic Section), for whose establishment four aircraft were ordered.

The production aircraft bore little resemblance to the prototype. Additional interplane struts were added; there were ailerons at all four wingtips with improved balances; a compound tail unit was incorporated and the wings were slightly swept to compensate the "sawn-off" nose. With the accent on speed, forward armament was deleted, and the consequent shortened nose enabled the engines to be placed closer together, thereby improving asymmetric power characteristics. Armament consisted of a Parabellum machinegun in the dorsal position.

Created July 31, 2014