Produced in considerable numbers in France for the escort role and supplied to the Imperial Russian Air Service, the Nieuport 12 was also license-built in the UK by William Beardmore for the RNAS. The Beardmore-built Nieuport 12s featured an extended lower wing, some having full engine cowlings and fixed fin and plain rudder replacing the Nieuport balanced rudder. Forty Nieuport 12s were transferred to the Royal Flying Corps.
In 1916, an improved two-seat fighter version, the Nieuport 12bis with a 130 hp Clerget 9, was introduced by the Aviation Militaire.
The following data relate to the Nieuport 12.
Span: 29 ft 6 in (9.00 m)
Length: 22 ft 11.5 in (7.00 m)
Height: 8 ft 10.25 in (2.70 m)
Wing area: 236.81 sq.ft (22.00 sq.m)
Empty weight: 1,213 lb (550 kg)
Loaded weight: 1,874 lb (850 kg)
Max speed: 91 mph (146 kmh) at 6,560 ft (2,000 m)
Climb: to 6,560 ft (2,000 m) 14 min 15 sec."