01/31/2009. The single-seat Termite was designed by Wilbur L. Smith of Bloomington, Illinois, USA, and the 36 hp Aeronca E-113-C engined prototype N7939A flew for the first time on February 10, 1957. Later a 38 hp Continental A40-5 and a 65 hp Lycoming O-145 were successfully tested. Termite Aircraft was formed to market the plans for amateur construction, by early 1961, over twenty were under construction in the USA, Canada and Germany.
Joseph E. Tyndal of Richmond, Virginia, constructed the pictured N377T which flew for the first time on June 5, 1960. Powered by the 65 hp Lycoming O-145, it differed from the original by having the wing span enlarged by 2 ft 6 in (0.76 m) to 26 ft (7.92 m), endplates, a wheel control instead of a stick, a glass fiber cowling, and two dummy ¾-scale machineguns just in front of the cockpit.
Reportedly also designated Smittys JT-1 Termite, the aircraft's last registered owner was the EAA, its registration being cancelled on July 11, 1984.