The prototype XP-16 (s/n 29-326), powered by a supercharged Curtiss V-1570A Conqueror twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled engine rated at 600 hp, appeared in October 1929, and was of fabric-covered metal construction with an upper wing of gull configuration. Armament comprised two fixed forward-firing 0.3 in (7.62 mm) machine guns and a third weapon of similar caliber on a flexible mounting in the rear cockpit. Five 25 lb (11.3 kg) or two 122 lb (55.3 kg) bombs could be carried.
Two contracts were issued for a total of 25 service test aircraft as Y1P-16s, s/n 31-502 to 31-515, 31-597, 32-221 to 32-230. First delivery to Wright Field was on March 1, 1932, these being essentially similar to the prototype apart from having the un-supercharged V-1570-25, also producing 600 hp.
The Y1P-16s were delivered in 1932 and were later redesignated as PB-1's (pursuit-biplace). These proved to possess insufficient maneuverability to oppose single-seat fighters, offered extremely poor visibility for landing and displayed a tendency to nose over. As a consequence they were withdrawn from USAAC service on 31 January 1934.
Span: 34 ft 0 in (10.36 m)
Length: 28 ft 2 in (8.58 m)
Height: 9 ft 0 in (2.74 m)
Wing area: 279 sq.ft (25.92 sq.m)
Weight empty: 2,803lb (1,271 kg)
Loaded weight: 3,9961b (1,812 kg)
Max speed: 172 mph (277 kmh) at 5,000 ft (1,524 m)
Cruise speed: 151 mph (243 kmh)
Climb: 1,970 ft (600 m)/min
Range: 650 mls (1,046 km)."