DAN SHUMAKER COLLECTION
No. 9517. Magni J.6-S Italian Air Force
Aeroplane Photo Supply (APS) Photo No. 905

Magni J.6-S

12/31/2009. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Ing. Alberto Jona formed his Studio di Consulenza Aeronautica (Aeronautical Consultancy Bureau) in Rome in 1932 and started the design of a two-seat sesqui-plane with a pivoting wing, designated J.6. The aircraft was of mixed construction, with a tube fuselage and wooden wing covered with plywood and fabric; it was manufactured by the Piero Magni Aviazione at Taliedo. By intervention of the Italian AF, it was put on static display at the first air show at Milan with the s/n MM313.

Powered by an 140 hp Fiat A 54 seven-cylinder, air-cooled radial engine, the aircraft was first flown (with the wing in a fixed position) by Magni test pilot Vasco Magrini on May 24, 1936, while test flying with the wing pivoting was performed by Giovanni Roccato, with promising results. Subsequently the aircraft was tested by the military at the Centro Sperimentale (Experimental Center) of the Italian AF at Guidonia, near Rome.

In 1937, registered as I-BONZ, the J.6 was flown by the well known sport pilot Leonardo Bonzi in the Giro Aereo d'Italia, and other races. The aircraft was flown for several years by Jona, after Italy's Armistice with the Allies on September 8, 1943, the aircraft disappeared into obscurity.

The testing by the military had resulted in 1937 in an order from the Ministero dell'Aeronautica (Air Ministry) for six aircraft with a fixed wing, designated J.6-S (s/n MM50723 to MM50728). Powered by a 240 hp nine-cylinder, air-cooled radial engine, these six were intended for training and were fitted with night-flying cabin lightning, a 0.303 (7.7 mm) machinegun and had an option to carry a AGR 61 camera.

All aircraft were delivered in 1939 and differed only in detail from the J.6. In the event the aircraft were used mostly as liaison transports by member of the General Staff of the Italian AF, all were lost during WW II and the Armistice.

Created December 31, 2009