12/31/2009. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "On 16 April 1932, the USN ordered two prototypes of a new shipboard fighter under the designations XF11C-1 and XF11C-2, the former with a 600 hp Wright R-1510-98 two-row radial and the latter with a 700 hp Wright R-1820-78 single-row radial.
The latter was, in fact, a company demonstrator which had been flying for some time and was of mixed construction (fabric covered wooden wings and fabric-covered metal fuselage and tail surfaces), whereas the XF11C-1, which utilized the wings of the YP-23, was of fabric-covered all-metal construction and was delivered in September 1932.
The R-1820-78 Cyclone and mixed structure of the XF11C-2 found favor with the USN, and, on October 18, 1932, a production order was placed for 28 F11C-2s, deliveries of which began in February 1933 and were completed in the following May.
The fourth aircraft on the contract was completed with a manually-retractable undercarriage as the XF11C-3, subsequently being redesignated XBF2C-1 with adoption of the "bomber-fighter" category in March 1934. Simultaneously, the F11C-2s were redesignated as BFC-2s.
Armament comprised two 0.3 in (7.62 mm) Browning machine guns and a single bomb of up to 500 lb (227 kg) or four 112 lb (51 kg) bombs could be carried. The BFC-2 remained in USN service until 1938.
The XF11C-2 is seen above with the original tail wheel and rudder, while later the bottom of the tail had a cut-out for the tail wheel that had moved to the rear to make place for an arrester hook. Note also the large wheels, compared to the XF11C-2."