05/31/2009. The G.III bomber was the third Grossflugzeug (large aeroplane) produced by the Flugzeugbau Friedrichshafen and first appeared in February 1917. Powered by two 260 hp Mercedes D IVa six-cylinder water-cooled in-line engines the aircraft could carry a crew of three and a bomb load of 1,102 lb (500 kg).
Friedrichshafen, together with license builders Daimler Motorengesellschaft Werke, and Hansa & Brandenburgische Flugzeugwerke, produced a total of 245 G.III's and 93 G.IIIa's (designated FF 61, and fitted with a twin biplane tail).
On January 19, 1918, the pictured aircraft was damaged by anti-aircraft gunfire and force-landed behind Belgian lines. Repaired it was pressed into services with Belgium's No.4 Squadron.