08/31/2007. The sole G-22 aerobatic aircraft was built in December
1936 for the Gulf Oil Companies for use by the head of Gulf's
aviation department Major Alfred "Al" Williams. Powered by an 1,000
hp Wright Cyclone R-1820-GI engine, the single-seat aircraft was a
hybrid of the F2F/F3F fighter series.
It flew at many air shows in the USA and Europe, but was also used as
a test aircraft for fuels, oils and lubricants. Donated to the NASM,
the aircraft made its last flight to Washington, D.C., on October 11,
1948. View also photo 6738.