08/31/2007. The prototype D.XVI made its first flght on July 8, 1929, and was powered by a 525 hp Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar VIIA engine. In total 24 aircraft were built, 17 of them serving with the NethAAS.
The pictured aircraft was re-engined in 1935 with the 575 hp
Armstrong Siddeley Panther IIIA engine, NACA-engine cowling and a
three-bladed wooden propeller. It was also the last D.XVI in service,
being captured at Texel by German forces in May 1940.