01/31/2008. Dornier opened a design office at Madrid, Spain, in
February 1951, under the name Oficinas Tecnicas Dornier (OTEDO). The
first design was the Do 25, a STOL liaison and observation aircraft,
developed to a specification issued by the Spanish Aviation Ministry.
The two Do 25 prototypes were powered by an 150 hp ENMA Tigre G-IV-B
and construction took place at the CASA works at Cadiz and Sevilla,
the latter was also responsible for final assembly.
Under the Spanish military designation XL-9 the Do 25 P1 was flown for
the first time from Sevilla by CASA test pilot Ernesto Nienhuisen on
June 25, 1954. It was soon followed by the second prototype Do 25 P2,
registered as EC-AKY, and both aircraft were test flown at the CASA
works at Gatafe. The Do 25 P2 was re-engined by a 225 hp Continental
O-470-J and redesignated Do 25 P2C, it flew for the first time on
April 8, 1955.
Dornier re-opened its works at Munich-Neuaubing and Oberpfaffenhofen,
Germany, in mid-1955. The Do 25 P2C was transferred to Germany and
used in a long range and demonstration flights, till it was returned
to Spain in 1956. The fate of both Do 25s is unknown, the type was
taken in production as the Do 27, the first flew on October 17, 1956.