JOHAN VISSCHEDIJK COLLECTION
No. 8530. Proctor Kittiwake Mk.1 (XW784 c/n PFA 1352) Royal Navy
Photograph from Military Aircraft Photographs (MAP)

Proctor Kittiwake Mk.1

05/15/2013. Unveiled at Fleetlands on June 4, 1971, the Kittiwake glider tug flew for the first time on October 21, 1971. It was built mainly by apprentices at RNAS Arbroath, but with the closure of that station was taken to Lee-on-Solent for completion and test flying. Since it was built in Navy time, with Navy money, and Navy materials, the Kittiwake was owned by the Ministry of Defence, hence the allocation of a serial number and military colours. On November 20, 1973, the Kittywake was registered on the CAA Registry as
G-BBRN and still is as of this day.

Created January 31, 2009