06/30/2009. The M.18 Mk.I was a two-seat trainer that was powered by an 130 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major. Carrying the 'Class B' registration U-2 (c/n 1075), it was taken on its maiden flight by its designer F.G. Miles from Woodley, Aerodrome, Reading, UK, on December 4, 1938. It was registered G-AFRO on March 11, 1939. In 1941 it was converted to a single-seat tricycle aircraft, while the fin and rudder were moved 22 in (0.56 m) forward, it was reregistered U-0222. Converted back to the tail-wheel configuration, fitted with an 110 hp Jameson FF engine, and wing span reduced from 31 ft (9.45 m) to 29 ft (8.84 m), the aircraft was tested in 1946-1947. It was eventually scrapped in December 1947.
The M.18 Mk.2, fitted with an 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III, flew from Woodley in November 1939. Carrying the s/n HM545, it was evaluated by RN 759 Squadron, went to the CFS in February 1941 and was tested by the Air Ministry at A&AEE Boscombe Down in May 1941. Thereafter it became a communications aircraft with Miles Aircraft, being registered G-AHKY on April 26, 1946.
It was sold to Henry Brian Iles (a RAF Flight Lieutenant) on March 9, 1948. While stationed with RAF 93 Squadron at Jever, Germany, Iles and his Rhodesian navigator Flying Officer R. H. Sanderson, made an 11,200 mls (18,024 km) out-and-return flight to Sanderson's residence at Bulawayo, Rhodesia (presently Zimbabwe). Departing Jever in G-AHKY on July 19, 1954, they needed 55 flying hours on both the out-and-return flights, they returned on August 30. Iles won the Goodyear Trophy in 1956, the Kings Cup Air Race in 1961, and also an Osram Trophy and a Tour Air France. He sold G-AHKY on October 25, 1969.
After being resold twice the aircraft came to the Strahallan Collection at Auchterader, Scotland, on December 17, 1976. On October 8, 1981 it was bought by the Scottish Aircraft Collection Trust, since 1996 the aircraft has been on display at the Scottish National Museum of Flight at East Fortune, Scotland.