08/31/2010. This aircraft was built as a two-seat Sopwith Dove and registered to Sopwith as G-EBKY in 1919. It was fitted with horn balanced rudder in 1925 and owned by D.L. Hollis Williams until 1930. It was sold to C.H. Lowe-Wylde at West Malling, England (founder of the British Aircraft Company at Maidstone), abandoned after the death of Lowe-Wylde in 1933. Subsequently it was acquired by Richard O. Shuttleworth and converted to a single-seat Pup in 1938. The registration was cancelled on September 24, 1956.
After a long period of static display in RFC markings and carrying the serial N5180 it was restored to airworthy condition and the registration was restored on April 8, 1993. In 2005 it received the present RNAS colour scheme and the serial 9917 was applied. Clearly visible on the outer wing struts are the attachments for the dummy rockets to represent those which were used against airships. View also photo 10716.